02 Mar Alternatives to the Foods You Miss, Recommended by an Orthodontist Near Me
At Taunton Orthodontics, we understand that having braces means sometimes having to abstainin from your favourite foods. Here are a few ideas for substitutions you can make to enjoy the closest braces-friendly equivalent to the foods you’re craving.
- Popcorn -> Pretzels: Popcorn has hard kernels that can harm your braces, as well as thin kernel-shards that can get stuck in your teeth and braces. If you’re craving a salty, crunchy snack, try swapping popcorn for stick pretzels.
- Nuts -> Nut Butter: Nuts present a similar problem to popcorn in that they’re hard and crunchy. If you’re craving the flavour of nuts, try nut butter spread over crackers or paired with fruits and vegetables, to give you the same nutty taste without the dangerous crunch.
- Caramel Chews -> Caramel Syrup: Chewy candy such as caramels can pull at your braces, not to mention how they stick to your teeth. While caramel candies are out of the question, caramel sauces can add the caramel flavour you love to other snacks.
Fruit Gummies -> Jello: Fruit gummies are a popular snack, but the chewy texture presents the same problems as caramels. With a variety of flavours, Jello can match the taste of your favourite fruit gummies, and the texture is somewhat similar. If you’re making Jello at home, try using sparkling water for an added fizzy effect.
- Candy Bars -> Baked Treats: Some candy bars are braces-friendly, but others contain nuts and/or caramel, both of which can be harmful to your braces. Try substituting these with softer braces-friendly candy bars, or with brownies, soft cookies, and other baked treats!
If you’re interested in learning more about how to adjust to life with braces, check out our blog. To learn more about how we can help you achieve a happier, healthier smile, contact us to learn about our practice in Whitby, Ontario.
– The Taunton Orthodontics Team